Saturday, December 8, 2018

Saigon or Ho Chi Minh City - Its Bustling and Growing

 Despite being December, its hot and humid in Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC). I cant imagine how the summer would be. The city skyline is transforming into modern high rises that replace shorter older concrete buildings from the 1940's and earlier.

City next to Saigon River, Landmark 81 building in distance is tallest in Vietnam
I participated in a marketing event outside the Bitexco Building by Manulife, a Canadian insurance and investment company. They were promoting exercise and had several setups where participants could try out different activities. I decided to join a stationary bike competition. A young woman volunteered to compete with me where we would race for 10 seconds. I tried to sit on the bike, but it was way too small, even with the seat all the way up. My feet didnt fit into the pedals, so I stood and pedaled as best I could. Being twice the size of my competitor it was no contest. I won and was awarded with high 5's and a crowd cheer. But then I had to pose for photos and receive my prize - a tshirt. My 15 mins of fame in Saigon!
.
68 story Bitexco Financial Tower with non-functioning helicopter pad on 48th floor
where I competed in the bike race - for Manulife, Canadian company, at foot of Bitexco Tower

My prized tshirt!
customer service in Bitexco Tower cafe: If it's unclean, let it be seen!
Christmas lights at Rex Hotel - famous from Vietnam War

highway to the left, main street to the right where a city block is under construction

In addition to Buddhism, Catholicism introduced by the French makes Christmas a thing here. It is disorienting to be eating Vietnamese food in Saigon while listening to Felice Navidad on the radio.  Our hotel workers wore various Christmas headbands and a well decorated Christmas tree was in the hotel lobby while a Buddhist altar sat in the corner.  The central park was lined with buildings decorated with Christmas trees, presents and many lights. I even saw plastic reindeer and a snowman which was really odd! The only indication of a Christ child was in the Notre Dame Catholic church creche. 
our hotel elves

Opera House - French built in 1897

Hotel Continental opened in 1880. Hub of press, writers through the years.

Typical building, each apartment is a business, with new high rise behind
.
high end stores everywhere

street vendor - watch repair

sidewalk shoe shine while you eat dinner in restaurant
















sidewalk dining in glitzy downtown
The mix of modern and traditional was everywhere. Buildings, clothes, businesses, vehicles all bridged between old Vietnam and modern European.
carrying her business with her
street art
outside a department store. shoes are off.

Streets are full of motor bikes which may or may not follow traffic rules
Vietnamese flag flies high


CIA building where one of last US helicopters left Saigon





















Turk works out in downtown park

War Remnants Museum






























The central Ben Thanh market is the biggest market in HCMC. Built by the French around 1912 as a collection of street vendors who set up shop near the Saigon River.  This structure was renovated in 1985 and is a hub of vendors selling just about anything - clothing, fish, jewelry, car parts, souvenirs, street food and more.  I even found a vendor selling a blouse I bought back home...for far less than I paid!  While the market is one of the oldest buildings in Saigon, it is becoming surrounded with high rises. Across the street, the ground is cleared and the foundation started for the latest.

main entrance to Ben Thanh market

never ending assortment of spices, nuts, snacks, noodles

One of the few older people I saw. She let me know that she did not like me taking pictures. I found her fascinating, with many stories to tell I am sure.

decorated fabrics for custom made formal Vietnamese dresses

our lunch - pho soup and a salad with Saigon beer


































assortment of odd coffees - many are pooped beans by animals

this is coffee made from beans eaten, and pooped out, by squirrels


















normal street traffic

No comments: