Wednesday, September 12, 2012

NYC High Line

wall art/ad seen from High Line
Empire State Building seen from High Line

 Decided that on this trip to NYC I would expand my usual activities.  My work peeps and I sauntered down the High Line one evening, enjoying the night view of the city and the beauty of the whole park - yes, NYC considers the transformed elevated railway a park.  We even stopped for some amazing gelato, made and served by a real Italian. 

Work peeps on Roof Bar in MeatPacking District
 Since it was fashion week, we decided to head out to the Meatpacking District, which along with Chelsea is typically the center of activity for new fashion.
A view from the roof bar to another roof bar - warm evening!
Yes, it was crowded. Yes there were many very skinny, buffed, and beautiful people.  Yes, we held our own and had drinks at one of the rooftop bars, dinner in an outdoor garden at a converted home.  The home was once RuPaul's residence.

I enjoyed my view of the Empire State Building, especially at night.  I also finally went to the World Trade Center Memorial one morning.  The footprints of the two towers are now the base of waterfalls.  Seeing this in person made a surprising impact on me.  The park is well done, well visited and well respected.  Rising gallantly from the park is the new World Trade Tower 1.  I found it interesting that the area around the towers is completely built up - more than in 2001.

When I left the memorial park, I wandered over to Trinity Church to see the cemetery - note: I love to walk around cemeteries. I wasn't disappointed by the well kept grounds.  But the deteriorating gravestones were challenging to figure out sometimes.  In the 1700's and 1800's it looks like the stones show the death day and year, then the age in years, months, days.  With the number of stones for children and young adults, I understand why months and days were important to state.  I found only  a few stones showing ages over 60.

Leaving the cemetery, I had to walk through the Occupy Wall Street group who were camped out on the covered sidewalk - afterall, it was raining.  The small group seemed to represent twenty somethings who wanted a cause, homeless who wanted the benefits a sympathetic cause can bring, and some entertainers who enjoyed sharing their talents with onlookers.  The mostly naked scarf dancer (man) comes to mind.                                                                  

I found interesting street art in Chelsea which seemed like a nice bench to sit on until you realized it was covered in moss and other stuff.  I found a popcorn shop - Populence that serves heirloom popcorn and organic flavorings.  Was fun to taste the samples and I munched on garlic popcorn the rest of the afternoon - requiring a toothbrushing before going out for the evening!

street art
 Sunday afternoon seemed perfect for a trip to MOMA.  Peep Pam and I could have easily gotten lost, but stuck to a plan.  We each had 1 floor choice.  Was wonderful to see the Picasso's, impressionists, dadaists, and more.  I picked the architecture and furnishings.  We were both happy


Populence popcorn choices

MOMA mid century furniture





No comments: