Friday, August 27, 2010

Istanbul From the Rooftop


I confess that I've not been looking forward to this trip to Turkey merely from the stumbling block of having to get here.  Now that I've weathered the expected uncomfortable, no sleep, bad food flight, I'm SO EXCITED to be here. Am writing this from our hotel rooftop, overlooking both the Blue Mosque and Aya Sofya (the largest Christian church until St Peter's in Rome was built), and the Bosphorus.  There is a pleasant breeze at sunset cooling us off...along with the Efes beer... from our first day hitting the streets of Istanbul.  So far today, compared with my visit 14 years ago,  I've discovered that I DO like Turkish Delight when it is not mass produced, there are many more uncovered/recovered Christian mosaics in the Aya Sofia (that was converted to a mosque after the Muslims conquered the Christians in the holy wars and mosaics were covered up with plaster...which probably preserved them these hundreds of years), the city is wired and you can get on internet anywhere, more English, span of women's fashions from European styles to conservative to fully covered in black.  No veils yet which has been nice to see.   We are here during Ramadan but, as promised by Mark, I am able to readily find food which is a great relief! 
Aya Sophya's Christian mosaics
Aya Sophya  - they charge to get in now!
Grand Bazaar - you can get lost here, and we did!
Blue Mosque
View of ships in Bosphorus, waiting to port.
glimpse of Blue Mosque from gate doorway

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Have a wonderful adventure, Kathy and Mark! -- Sridhar

mssmilie said...

Sounds like the changes to Turkey have thus far been good! Hope you enjoy the rest of the visit. See you in October? We are flying into/out of T./St Pete due to United Routes using miles and were looking to visit and/or spend the night on one or both legs depending on Midge's friends in the north availability. We arrive the 16th, leave the 25th with a lot of driving in between, including a trip to the Keys the 21st-22nd to spread ashes for Midge's ex and Mollie (partial both to save some for Tahiti). May need to ship to you--don't know the rules for such yet. OK?

Unknown said...

Enjoy and keep the pictures coming. It finally stopped raining in Florida. 12 inches in 4 days.

Unknown said...

Good to hear that you made it safely there. My primary concern is if Kathy is getting any food during the Ramadan!! :-)

Sheri said...

Kathy, Thank you for adding me to your list. I am so glad you and Mark arrived safely. I enjoyed your text and pictures. I hope you find....food!!
Keep me posted! We miss you already in ball class!
Sheri

Unknown said...

Glad you both arrived in one piece.
I know you will have a wonderful trip. It's amazing how Turkey is
changing ( for the better) but still keeping it's unique charm.
Enjoy.
Arif & Pam